5 tips on how to check if your gold is real💰
Posted on July 05 2020
Gold is so widely dispersed geographically throughout the world that it doesn't have one story regarding its origins, however we are encouraged to believe most ancient civilisations prized its value and associated it with gods and rulers. Gold is thought to be one of the very first metals our species interacted with as it can be found in a usable state(think gold nuggets), unlike other metals found in ore-bodies that pose some difficulty in smelting and extracting. It is loved for its properties such as brilliance, permanence (it neither corrodes nor tarnishes) and easy-to-work with quality.
So how to tell if your gold is real/ solid gold?
1. Use a lighter and hold your gold under a steady flame. Real gold will get white-hot after a while and then get darker. Fake gold or plated gold with darken immediately or change colour. Plating will melt off showing the true metal under.
2. Test your gold with a magnet, real gold is not magnetic.
3. Gold does not float or rust, so try dropping your jewellery into a glass of water.
4. Real gold will never turn your skin black or green.
5. Always check for a gold stamp, this stamp is typically either a carat number, such as 18K, or 12K, in the shape of a rectangle with the corners cut off, and with a number inside. See below for what this numbers mean:
999 = 24 karat, 99.9% gold
990 = 22 karat, 99% gold
916 = 22 karat, 91.6% gold
750 = 18 karat, 75% gold
585 = 14 karat, 58.5% gold
375 = 9 carat, 37.5% gold
Here at Alon Shina we try our utmost to only use Fairtrade Gold - sourced exclusively in mines that reach the Fairtrade Gold standard. Workers in certified gold mines receive a guaranteed Fairtrade Minimum Price for their product.